My Christmas tree traditionally goes up around December 1st. I love the glow and warmth from the lights. Every year I try to get a picture of the Christmas tree but in previous years it never seemed to look in the pictures as it did in real life. I had always struggled with getting that perfect picture, but until this year I really had no clue what I was doing.
As soon as our Christmas tree was up I started to play around to get that Bokeh look of the lights.
![]() |
| 50mm lens. f 1.4, 1/25 ISO 100 |
Even an extra string of lights became my focus.
![]() |
| L: 50mm f 1.8, 1/100, ISO 400 R: 50mm f 1.4, 1/10, ISO 200 |
Once I had figured out how to get that bokeh Christmas lights my next challenge was to get the bokeh of the lights with an in focused subject. I struggled with that initially but then I went back to the basics, my subject would need to be further away from my tree (background).
![]() |
| L: 50mm f 1.8, 1/15, ISO 800 R: 50mm f 2.5, 1/50, ISO 800 |
The picture on the left was taken one evening when I was attempting to get the bokeh of the lights with Rachael in focus. Even though I did not achieve that in this picture, I still love this picture. In the second picture I had figured it out. By placing Rachael further away from the Christmas tree I was able to get the bokeh of the lights with her in focus.
Dennis was a willing model one night which enabled me to get these shots. Not that he would ever admit it but I think he actually had some fun helping me out.
| 50mm lens f 1.4, 1/25 and ISO 100 |
Props
Props can definitely be useful in photography. While I was in Canadian Tire shopping for more shiny gold balls for the Christmas tree, I came across these huge, red Christmas balls. I immediately thought they would make great props. I decided to only use the plain shiny gold balls for the tree but the sparkly gold balls were a lot of fun to play around with.
![]() |
| L: 50mm f 1.4, 1/40, ISO 3200 R: 50mm 1.4, 1/30, ISO 800 |
So after I had figured out how to get the bokeh on the lights my next challenge was to get the sparkly Christmas lights. So I set up my tripod and started to play.
![]() |
| L: 35mm f 18, 2.5s, ISO 400 Center: 35mm f 18, 6s, ISO 400 R: 35mm f 18, 3s, ISO 400 |
A recent blog post from Beryl Young discussed three ways to photograph holiday lights. As usual this blog post was informative and the steps were so easy to follow. I decided that my next challenge would be to attempt shape lights. In her blog post, Beryl provided the link to another blog post that described how to make a special cover for your lens. So off to Michaels I went one day after work to pick up the necessary materials and then it was time to have some fun.
| 50mm lens f 1.8, 1/125, ISO 1600 |
| 50mm lens f 1.8, 1/125, ISO 1600 |
Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and All the best in 2014.





Love your bokeh shots... it's always been one of my favourite things to play with as well! You're getting very creative, and your photography is improving by leaps and bounds!
ReplyDelete