This week’s assignment was to go on a photo
field trip. When I first read the
assignment I started to brainstorm about points of interest within 50km of my
town. This was a bit challenging. I think when you are resident of a town you
stop thinking like a tourist. I
consulted Google, a good friend and my husband to come up with a list.
Kleskun Hills became my chosen
destination. Kleskun Hills, located 20km
east of Grande Prairie, is a natural area with one of the largest pieces of
native grassland in the area. There is
also a Heritage Park with historic buildings and machinery. From my research, I felt that this would be a
great location that would offer many picture taking opportunities…from historic
buildings to scenery.
I called ahead and learned that the Park
was closed for the Season but that I would still be able to walk around the
Park. I also asked if it would be okay
if I took pictures for personal use only and I was told that this would be fine.
I broached my idea to Dennis and he decided
that we would go out as a family as he had never been there either. So Saturday afternoon after Rachael’s nap we
headed out with snacks and water for Rachael and my camera.When we arrived at the location, there was a gate with a “Closed” sign on it. As soon as we got out of our vehicle, a large dog approached us barking. My first instinct was to go back into my vehicle and Abort the mission. But Dennis reminded me that yes I did get permission to walk around and he felt that since we had made the drive out there so we should go and check it out. Dennis slipped through the opening in the gate with Rachael in tow while I stayed back at the truck.
I called the contact number and repeated my
request. This time the response was Yes
I could walk around but they would prefer that I don’t take any pictures as one
of the buildings in the Park had been vandalized. Bummer.
So I left my Nikon in the truck and went to catch up with my family.
The Park is set up like a historic
town. With a museum, old gas pump, one
room class room, and souvenir shop.
There were historic machinery out on display. Not having my camera with me allowed me to just be in
the moment with my family but I would be lying if I wasn’t salivating at all of
the missed picture opportunities. My
daughter was very happy to see that the Park also housed a playground….that
made the trip a success for her.
Now….I did I have my IPhone in my
pocket. But I am very much a play by the
rules kind of girl. The whole time we
are on the grounds, we never saw anyone.
But my paranoid side kept thinking what if there are security cameras
watching us. So I didn’t take any
pictures of the actual Park.
The actual natural area is within a fenced
off area and only accessible by foot.
You can see the Park from the Hills.
Once within this area, I pulled out my IPhone. I was still a bit bummed that I was snapping
away with my IPhone and not my Nikon but hey it was better than nothing. I haven’t been overly happy with the pics
from my IPhone so I usually opt to drag around my Nikon. However, the pictures I took at Kleskun Hills were not too bad.Here are few of the pictures that I took and then edited using the editing techniques for Landscapes
Layer mask to sky, grass and tree.
Layer mask to grass and bridge.
Layer mask to sky, grass and path.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.