Friday, 17 May 2013

Lights, Camera, Action!!!!


Week 2 of Momtographie is all about action...capturing our kids in motion.  From a technical perspective we are learning about the relationship between ISO and shutter speed.  So this week all of my pictures were taken in Aperture priority mode.

I first focused on my fur kids.  Not only did I take the pictures but I had to get them moving....hard work but having a few treats worked.  I started off using my 50mm lens and then switched to my 55-200mm lens.  These were taken around  9pm.

1/4000, f 1.4, ISO 3200
1/125, f 4.2, ISO 1600


1/4000, f 1.4, ISO 3200

Play was the most prominent ingredient this week.  My daughter is 2 and as I mentioned in an earlier post, she has had a camera on her since the moment she was born.  Well sometimes she doesn't like that.  She has been known to say to me "off the neck" or to hand me the lens cover.  Setting up a fun activity for Rachael is key.  This allows me to step back and watch and snap away as she has fun.

Today I asked Rachael to jump on our bed...she was more than happy to do this.  She loves jumping on our bed and until recently I never thought to take a picture of her doing this.  Of course I am well aware of the potential risks of jumping on a bed.  This hit home recently as one of Rachael's little friends broke her arm after jumping on the bed.  

I chose different times of the day for this photoshoot.  First of all I tried this in the morning before work but I couldn't get a fast enough shutter speed I recall bumping up my ISO to  Hi2.  So after work I tried again.


I absolutely love this picture however her left hand is blurred. 1/250, f 1.8, ISO 3200.  I am limited in this room by my old nemesis the light.  To get a crisper shot I would have had to bump up the ISO quite a bit which would have created noise in the picture.  I also can see the effects of side lighting....the right side of her face is quite lit up and the left side of her face is darker.

A bit better.  1/320. f 1.8, ISO 3200.

And a great shot of her face showing how much fun she was having.
1/800, f 1.8, 3200

Off to the park we went.  Sunny day but not very bright.  The sun disappeared behind the clouds at times so I had to keep adjusting my ISO.  My goal was to get shots of Rachael on the swings so I scoped out where the sun was in relation to the swings once we arrived.

1/4000, f 1.8, ISO 800.
1/4000, f 1.8, ISO 400
My attempt at a side view 1/4000, f 1.8, ISO 400
1/4000, f 1.8, ISO 400
A nice composition shot.... Rule of thirds.


The highlight from Rachael's standpoint was chasing the birds

Unfortunately Rachael is blurry...I was busy trying to catch her running that it was only when I was reviewing my pictures that I realized that this picture incorporated very well the play and storytelling ingredients.
1/4000 f1.8, ISO 400

This is R looking back at me. 1/4000, f 1.8, ISO 200

My favorite picture of the week
1/4000, f 1.8, ISO 200









































No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.