Sunday, 5 May 2013

Ready, Set, Snap

Welcome to my first entry in my new blog. Photography is something that has interested me for some time.  I remember years ago saying that I would love to take a photography class but I never enrolled in one.  The first camera I ever owned as a kid was a Kodak disk camera....I don't think they even make such a thing anymore.  I had a 35mm camera for years.  I remember many times incorrectly loading the film and yes you guessed it....blank negatives.  I entered the world of digital photography around 2001, my first one was a Christmas present from my Mom.. A Kodak easyshare.  I loved it.  I called it an idiot proof camera.  The ability to see you pictures right after you took it was such a cool concept and of course who doesn't love that delete button.  No more wasted film.  After accidently dropping the camera with the lens extended..oops I bought my second and last Kodak easyshare camera.  I loved it and it took great pictures for many years. 

In December of 2010 I was expecting my second child (my rainbow child).  Like all soon to be new parents, my husband and I tossed around the idea of buying a video camera as who doesn't want a way to preserve all of junior's special "firsts".  I watched Oprah's last favorite things show.... you know, the one where she gave away free stuff to the lucky audience members, as you the viewer sat on your couch green with envy.  Anyway one of her favorite things that year was a Nikon D3100 a DSLR camera.  I was in love and instantly had to have it.  I was not familiar with DSLR cameras up to that point.  By hey if Oprah loves it, it had to be good.  And this camera has a built in guide so in my words another idiot proof camera.   Ah if only it were that easy.

This camera literally has captured every moment in my daughter's life from birth.  As she has grown so has my camera skills.  Initially it was Auto all the way, then I moved on to Portrait mode which was my absolute fave.  Sure the pictures looked better than my old Kodak easyshare but not the professional looking pictures that I oohed and ahhed over.  So many dials that I had no clue how to use.

So I finally took a photography class just before my Maternity leave ended.  I finally got to learn what P, A, M and ISO meant.  But I still didn't deviate from my comfort mode.

My journey with grief lead me to Beryl Young, a photography instructor and fellow loss mom. I took my first online photography class with her in March 2013 and the lights started to go on.  After that class I was comfortable with leaving Portrait mode behind and dabbling with Manual mode and not using the flash.  Wow so much to learn what a great outlet for me.  Well I am thirsty for more information, so on Monday I will be starting a six week Momtographie class taught by Beryl Young

My camera bag currently consists of an 18-55mm lens, 55-200mm lens, a macro/wide angle lens and I should be receiving my new 50mm lens AF-S f/1.4G this week.

My favorite subjects are my daughter and furbabies.  I do enjoy taking pictures of flowers so my Macro lens will be great for that.

I look forward to sharing my momtography journey with you.

http://www.momtographie.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.