Friday, 19 July 2013

Project 52: Week 4 - City Lights

When I first starting thinking about this week's theme the image that came to mind was city lights at night when approaching the city.  I love the look of cities at night.  Summertime in Grande Prairie means that it doesn't get late until around midnight so I knew that I would have to attempt this task on the weekend.

So on Saturday I headed out around midnight armed with my camera.  I was going to attempt to get a picture of the city lights as you approach town but 1) I really didn't know all of the technical aspects of getting that shot 2) standing alone at night with a tripod and camera sounded a bit unsafe so I nixed that idea.

Unlike a big city, there are no buildings that are lit at night.  The Legislature building in Edmonton comes to mind.  Anyway I almost thought I wouldn't be able to do this week's challenge.  I drove downtown and just snapped some pictures of my downtown and some pictures of the gas station near my house.  In all honesty one of the pictures that almost was discarded became the one that I chose this week.  No tripod was used so I'm impressed that I was able to hold the camera still enough and the lights were not blurred.
Lens 55-200mm 1/13secs, F/4, ISO 400


Edited in black and white
This week's theme made me reflect back on my trip in February to Vegas....the city of lights.  Oh how I struggled to get the perfect picture.  That was pre-Momtographie online so I was using the method of trial and error.  I think every night we walked the strip I would take pictures just hoping for the perfect shot.

Here are some favorite city light pictures from my trip to Vegas.  I definitely have to plan a return trip now armed with my new knowledge.
Bellagio fountains

The Paris hotel..I tried all week to get the perfect shot of this hotel.
 
For a complete list of all of the pictures from my Project 52 follow this link to Resolution which has the link to all of my Project 52 blog posts.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.